1st Guards Proletarskaya Moskovsko-Minskaya order of Lenin twice Red Banner order of Suvorov and Kutuzov Motorised Rifle Division

1-я гвардейская мотострелковая Пролетарская Московско-Минская ордена Ленина дважды Краснознамённая орденов Суворова и Кутузова дивизия

Military Unit: 18885

Activated 25.6.57 in Kaliningrad, Kaliningrad Oblast, as the 1st Minskaya order of Lenin Red Banner order of Suvorov and Kutuzov Motorised Rifle Division, from the 1st Guards Rifle Division.

Organisation 1957:

In 6.59 the 171st Guards Motorised Rifle Regiment was disbanded, and was replaced by the 12th Guards Motorised Rifle Regiment.

In 1960 the 20th Heavy Tank Regiment was converted to a regular tank regiment, and was renamed 20th Tank Regiment.

Organisation 1960:

19.2.62 re-organised:

30.3.67 the division inherited the traditions, honors and awards from the 1st Proletariat Moscow Red Banner Rilfe Division, and was renamed 1st Guards Proletarskaya Moskovsko-Minskaya order of Lenin twice Red Banner order of Suvorov and Kutuzov Motorised Rifle Division.

In 1968 the 213th independent Guards Sapper Battalion was renamed 213th independent Guards Engineer-Sapper Battalion, and the 545th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment was renamed 36th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment.

Organisation 1970:

In 1972 the 000 independent Chemical Defence Company was renamed 245th independent Chemical Defence Battalion.

15.11.72 re-organised:

In 1980 the 119th independent Motor Transport Battalion was renamed 400th independent Material Supply Battalion.

Organisation 1980:

In 3.85 the 12th Guards Motorised Rifle Regiment was transferred to Afghanistan, and was replaced by the new 609th Motorised Rifle Regiment.

Organisation 1988:

20.7.88 the 326th independent Missile Battalion became part of the new 463rd Missile Brigade.

1.6.2002 renamed 7th independent Guards Motorised Rifle Brigade.

1.6.2009 renamed 7th independent Guards Motorised Rifle Regiment.

Headquarters:

Subordination:

Equipment 19.11.90 (CFE treaty holdings):

Divisional coordinates:

The division was maintained as a Ready Division - Reduced Strength II (US terms: Category II) - manning was about 64% (8000 men) with much reduced equipment, even though some equipment were withdrawn before the CFE treaty was signed - each motorised rifle regiment had manning levels of around 1000 to 1500 men.